Have you ever been in the middle of baking and you suddenly realize you are out of eggs? Or maybe you’re just looking for a cheaper alternative. These ingredients can replace eggs in most recipes and it’s about 1/3 of the price of eggs.
NOTE: This is for baking only! It won’t work in cooking.
My Favorite egg substitute is,
For every egg you need, substitute:
1 Tbls. of soy flour and 1 Tbls. of water.
NOTE: Eggs serve different functions in recipes. Eggs are used in baked goods for a binder or lightness. So-called Flat foods such as pancakes and cookies don’t need eggs for lift.
However eggs often work as binders, holding the other ingredients together, as in a casserole or cake. Eggs also can act as leavening agents, providing lift and affecting texture. The purpose of the egg in a recipe determines what you can use as a substitute.
If a recipe calls for three eggs (like most cakes do) the eggs perform a vital function and need to be replaced with an ingredient that can cause a similar effect.
In recipes for baked goods that have a light, airy texture, replace eggs with an ingredient that provides lift. The following ingredients can replace one whole egg in a recipe:
· Half of a ripe mashed banana. It also gives the food a mild banana flavor, which tastes good in recipes for muffins, cookies, pancakes, and quick breads.
· 1/4 cup of any kind of tofu blended with the liquid ingredients in the recipe.
· 1-1/2 teas. -of a store bought egg substitute, such as Ener-G Egg Replacer, mixed with – 2 tbls. of water.
· 1/4 cup -of applesauce, canned pumpkin or squash, or pureed prunes. If you use these foods, know that, depending on the recipe, they may add a hint of flavor. If you want to give the food a lighter texture, add an extra 1/2 teas.- of baking powder, because using fruit purees to replace eggs can make the finished product somewhat denser than the original recipe.
· 1 heaping tbls.- of soy flour or bean flour mixed with a tablespoon of water.
· 2 tbls -of cornstarch beaten with 2 tbls of water.
· 1 tbls. – of finely ground flaxseeds whipped with 1/4 cup of water. The flaxseeds gel and bind with the other ingredients.