Are mosquitoes keeping you from enjoying the outdoors? Or do they ruin your cookouts? Try some of these tips.
- Use yellow bug lights outside on the patio, porch, or deck. Light citronella candles or mosquito coils when using outdoor seating areas. There is safe propane and butane operated mosquito traps and devices that can be used when entertaining outdoors.
- Install ceiling fans on your covered porch or balcony and sit beneath them when outdoors to discourage mosquitoes from landing on you. Use an oscillating fan in outdoor living spaces in the evenings.
- Wear light colored clothing with thin, long sleeves, long pants, and socks when going outside just before dark.
- Spray a mosquito repellent on top of your clothing.
- Taking garlic or brewers yeast supplements is said to deter insect bites.
- Mosquitoes require stagnant water to breed, so empty any planters or buckets that could collect stagnant water. Empty any standing water, and place containers that can hold rainwater upside down. Check the area below downspouts that may have standing water, fill in with rocks. Change the water in the birdbath weekly. If you have a pond or water garden, install a pump, waterfall or fountain to keep the water flowing and prevents it from getting stagnant. Stock the water garden or pond with goldfish or other mosquito larvae eating fish. Fill in any puddles or low spots on the ground with soil. Check the gutter on the house for leaves that might block rainwater from flowing freely. Place a bat house near your outdoor living spaces. Bats dine on mosquitoes in the evening.
- Attract wild birds to your yard with feeders, some bird’s feast on mosquitoes. Hope these tips are useful to you.
If you liked these tips or have some tips of your own please share them with me.